xtremewailing.com Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

quantum leap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quantum_leap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: quantum leap Reply with quote

Lately I've been watching all the epsiodes of Quantum Leap to more or less refresh my knowledge of the show. By having the seasons, though, I'm starting to really connect the dots about what has happened between each episode that I didn't get when watching reruns. Like how Sam applies his new knowledge of being someone else to another's life. Or how he finds out how he came to his own conclusions and how he affects others with his futuristic knowledge. It's awesome! Has anyone ever done that with one of their favorite shows?
mjenista

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Next Generation all the way through really brought some things together.
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Quantum Leap, does watching it in order and as an adult make the overarching storyline any easier to understand? I know he was stuck leaping into other people's bodies and whatnot, but I never really understood why or what their plan was for getting him home. How did the show end? Did he leap back into his proper body, and then how did they trap him there?

There was kind of two camps when I was a kid - for whatever reason, you were a MacGeyver fan or a Quantum Leap fan, and I always fell into the former category.
quantum_leap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how the show ends actually, I haven't seen the last episode. But watching them when I was a kid didn't make much sense to me. I got that he lept around helping people's lives, but I never really understood what was going on. Now watching them in order, I'm understanding so much of it and I'm even able to explain things in latter episodes about references that they make to earlier ones. Especially to my younger brother since he doesn't really watch them, but occassionally watches one or two with me, and is always asking questions about it.

As for the MacGeyver vs Quantum Leap, I obviously choose Quantum Leap. I never really connected with MacGeyver and his tricks where he makes some sort of device out of string and a paperclip seemed sort of stupid to me. Sam Beckett's leaping around shaped my dreams and even influenced who I am today. As opposed to Jim who wrote that MacGeyver helped him be the man he is today.
mjenista

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't give it away because Leap is still watching, but the last episode brings a lot of closure to the show and was really really well written. There are very few story lines that reach across the whole show, mostly about Sam leaping back to his own family, so you can actually watch the last episode with only a little bit of knowledge about the show and still get it.

And MacGyver is clearly the better show. Mac was always getting in the most hilarious jams and using his mullet/wits to get out of them. Hooray!

But seriously, both were great.
quantum_leap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I just got the last season of Quantum Leap. I watched a good deal of the first disk last night, and already I'm excited about what else there is. I like the ones that continue on for a couple of episodes. I liked the one where the criminal that got into Dr. Beckett has a gun and escapes. That one was totally awesome.
mjenista

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was a cool episode.
quantum_leap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a favorite episode?
mjenista

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite episode, eh? In truth, I haven't seen many of them in a long time, but of the ones I remember, my favorite would have to be when Sam leaps into a monkey at NASA.
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing him in the monkey diaper was pretty close to maximum-level awesome.
Vger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
With Quantum Leap, does watching it in order and as an adult make the overarching storyline any easier to understand? I know he was stuck leaping into other people's bodies and whatnot, but I never really understood why or what their plan was for getting him home. How did the show end? Did he leap back into his proper body, and then how did they trap him there?

There was kind of two camps when I was a kid - for whatever reason, you were a MacGeyver fan or a Quantum Leap fan, and I always fell into the former category.

I never really got into Quantum Leap, though I was a huge MacGeyver fan. I remember liking Quantum Leap, but it was a show I never sought out.

Now that SciFi is running Enterprise on Monday nights, I've started watching on a regular basis. I'd be fun if they did a Quantum Leap night as well...

Who'd rock more... Captain Archer or Captain O'Neil. Opps I just hijacked this thread!
quantum_leap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that I didn't come back and say what happened. There's an episode where Sam gets back to his own body, but he has to willingly go back in to save Al's life, the hologram guy that always helps him, because they were accidentally switched in the middle of a jump and lightning hit them. So he does go back once.

The show ends with him never getting home because he finds out in the last episode what his purpose is, why he leaps, and why he can never go home. He changes a part of history that he knows should be changed, but by doing so, he can't go back because in his time, the project was never created.

So, unfortunately, no he doesn't. But if you ever get the chance to watch the last episode, I recommend it because it's very touching, and it's so interesing to see what he figures out during the course of the episode.

Dr. Beckett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    xtremewailing.com Forum Index -> Television All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: